The ACT’s Work Safety Commissioner, Mark McCabe has lashed out at the manager of an apartment site in Canberra where an apprentice suffered from electric shock last Thursday.
According to a Fairfax Media report, Mr McCabe accused the building site manager of dismissing the injury as an incident which could not have been prevented.
The work safety commissioner reacted to the manager’s comments on Friday about the incident being “isolated” and that issues concerning the site would be “non-life threatening.”
“The response sort of suggests that accidents will happen and there’s not much we can do about it,” said Mr McCabe.
“That’s an issue that came up in the Getting Them Home Safely report [on construction safety].
“It’s very disappointing to see a principal of a major construction company voicing such a view.
“The young woman who received the shock is probably lucky that she didn’t get a far worse outcome.
“What I would prefer to hear from employers is that they are doing everything they reasonably can to prevent those situations from happening,” he said.
The building site manager issued a statement last Friday saying that a safety audit conducted by the Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union, project managers and workers found no safety breaches which would prevent work on site.
Site workers walked off the job after a meeting between union representatives and construction managers was held. (Read SafetyCulture Report)
WorkSafe ACT issued a prohibition notice on the project which forbids any additional work to be done on the conditioning system on which the apprentice was working on at the time of the incident.