The 26-year-old factory worker received the electric shock from a live wire on an electric press used to mould rubber gaskets and seals.
The company was convicted for breaching two sections of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004, by failing to provide a safe working environment for its employees.
WorkSafe Victoria found that the company had not provided information to employees about the risk of electric shocks and the importance of isolating the power supply before working on the press.
WorkSafe general manager of operations, Lisa Sturzenegger, said the incident was a reminder to manufacturers of the importance of taking responsibility for workplace safety.
“Employers need to systematically manage risks to ensure they provide a safe place of work,” said Sturzenegger.
“Plant and machinery safety should not be left to the discretion of the workers. Employers must ensure the highest level of protection.
“As this case shows, the courts take these issues seriously. Apart from the effect on the individual, a conviction and fine can have significant financial consequences for companies and the people who lead them.”