VIC: Company Fined $200,000 After Worker’s Electric Shock

A manufacturing company has been fined $ 200,000 as a result of one its workers receiving an electric shock from a moulding press.

The 26-year-old factory worker received the electric shock from a live wire on an electric press used to mould rubber gaskets and seals.

The company was convicted for breaching two sections of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004, by failing to provide a safe working environment for its employees.

WorkSafe Victoria found that the company had not provided information to employees about the risk of electric shocks and the importance of isolating the power supply before working on the press.

WorkSafe general manager of operations, Lisa Sturzenegger, said the incident was a reminder to manufacturers of the importance of taking responsibility for workplace safety.

“Employers need to systematically manage risks to ensure they provide a safe place of work,” said Sturzenegger.

“Plant and machinery safety should not be left to the discretion of the workers. Employers must ensure the highest level of protection.

“As this case shows, the courts take these issues seriously. Apart from the effect on the individual, a conviction and fine can have significant financial consequences for companies and the people who lead them.”

OHS News

Written by

Safety Culture’s mission is to make Safety a way of life in the workplace. We aim to do this by creating simple and useable systems that will be used by workers. As one of Australia’s leading providers of Occupational Health and Safety services, SafetyCulture works with over 9000 clients across Australia and abroad and delivers Audit Forms, Online OHS Inductions, Safe Work Method Statements and OHS Systems every day through our network of qualified OHS Consultants. From the most basic OHS Systems for small business operators through to corporate branded Induction Platforms, SafetyCulture is committed to making safety – a way of life™. For more information feel free to call one of our friendly staff on 1300 306 604.

No Comments Yet.

Leave a Reply