In an incident yesterday afternoon, thirteen students and two teachers were transported to hospital after fumes were released during a year seven science experiment at a Sydney High School, in all according to a Channel 9 online report 24 people were affected.
Paramedics were called to the school at about 2.15pm when it was reported that there had been exposure to sulphur dioxide.
An Ambulance NSW spokesperson told Channel 9 that whilst twenty-four patients had been treated overall there were no major injuries. Most were suffering from vomiting and minor inhalation injuries.
The Department of Education spokesperson said that fumes had affected both teachers and students during a science experiment and that the school will be investigating the cause of the incident.
They added that the school acted quickly and called emergency services and to advise the parents of the 26 students that were in the room at the time of the leakage.