Soft drink consumption had a role in worker’s death

Consumption of soft drink instead of water may have contributed to a young man’s death from heat stroke in November 2009 while installing insulation, an inquest heard.

The man died on his first day of work installing insulation batts at a home at St Clair in Western Sydney. Courier Mail reported that the young man had no experience and was filling in for a friend who was sick to do the job.

The owner of the home where the victim was installing insulation batts gave him a Coke which may have triggered fluid loss by causing frequent urination.

The victim was the third of four people to suffer fatal injuries while working under the Home Insulation Program, which was ended in February 2010 because of safety issues.


OHS News

Written by

Safety Culture’s mission is to make Safety a way of life in the workplace. We aim to do this by creating simple and useable systems that will be used by workers. As one of Australia’s leading providers of Occupational Health and Safety services, SafetyCulture works with over 9000 clients across Australia and abroad and delivers Audit Forms, Online OHS Inductions, Safe Work Method Statements and OHS Systems every day through our network of qualified OHS Consultants. From the most basic OHS Systems for small business operators through to corporate branded Induction Platforms, SafetyCulture is committed to making safety – a way of life™. For more information feel free to call one of our friendly staff on 1300 306 604.