Queensland’s Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Jarrod Bleijie, and Safety Ambassador, Mal Meninga announced the winners of the Queensland Safe Work Awards 2012 at a ceremony yesterday afternoon.
The entries selected as finalists demonstrated innovation, leadership, and a commitment to making Queensland workplaces healthier and safer.
Winners of categories 1-4 will represent Queensland in next year’s national Safe Work Australia Awards, competing against winners from all Australian state, territory, SeaCare and Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Commission awards.
The 2012 winners are:
Category 1 – Best workplace health and safety management system
- Winner - Origin Alliance, Redbank
- Highly Commended - Caxton Legal Centre Inc., South Brisbane
- Highly Commended - Capral Limited, Bundamba
- Commended - Hatch Associate Pty. Ltd., Brisbane
- Commended - Transit Australia Group, Robina.
Category 2 – Best solution to an identified workplace health and safety issue
- Winner - SaferGate Group Pty. Ltd., Brisbane
- Highly Commended - Orica Mining Services, Cannon Hill
- Highly Commended - SafetyCulture, Garbutt
- Highly Commended - XStrata Coal Queensland, Glenden
- Commended - Iplex Pipelines, Strathpine
- Commended - Queensland Nickel, Yabulu
Category 3 – Best workplace health and safety practices in small business
- Winner - Zemek Engineering Pty. Ltd., Mackay
- Highly Commended - SafeBridge Australia Pty. Ltd., Eagle Farm
Category 4 – Best individual contribution to workplace health and safety
- Winner - Paul Gear – Gold Coast Water (Gold Coast City Council)
- Highly Commended - Rod Hutton – Children’s Health Queensland Hospital and Health Service
Category 5 – Best solution to an identified electrical safety issue
- Winner - QR National
Category 6 – Best leadership contribution to workplace health and safety (Zero Harm at Work Leadership Program members)
- Winner - Queensland Rail