The Electrical Safety Office is investigating a fatal incident that occurred at a school in Edmonton near Cairns.
An electrical worker was electrocuted while installing communication cabling in a ceiling space. An electrical cable with damaged insulation made contact with a metallic plate energising parts of the building structure, to which the worker was exposed.
The alert is a reminder for organisations to consider the effectiveness of their safety management systems in preventing incidents like these from occurring at a workplace.
A risk assessment and safe system of work should be used to manage electrical risks. Where possible an electrical supply should be isolated before entering the ceiling space. Where supply cannot be isolated a risk assessment must include measures to identify where electrical equipment is located and the control measures implemented to ensure this equipment is not disturbed.