Geelong Business Fined $80,000 Over Pub Worker Fatality

A Geelong business has been fined $ 80,000 over an incident where a 54 worker died in March 2011. He was overcome by carbon dioxide gas in the cellar of the hotel that he was working.

The worker was moving empty beer kegs that were still joined to carbon dioxide cylinders when he collapsed and died.

The investigation by WorkSafe Victoria concluded that a carbon dioxide cylinder had leaked which caused the level of gas in the cellar to increase.

After the incident the owners of the hotel were instructed by WorkSafe Victoria to install an alarm in the cellar to alert workers to any carbon dioxide leaks prior to entering.

The owners of the hotel were found to be guilty of one offence of “failing to provide a safe system of work under section 21(1)&(2)(a) of the Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004.”


OHS News

Written by

Safety Culture’s mission is to make Safety a way of life in the workplace. We aim to do this by creating simple and useable systems that will be used by workers. As one of Australia’s leading providers of Occupational Health and Safety services, SafetyCulture works with over 9000 clients across Australia and abroad and delivers Audit Forms, Online OHS Inductions, Safe Work Method Statements and OHS Systems every day through our network of qualified OHS Consultants. From the most basic OHS Systems for small business operators through to corporate branded Induction Platforms, SafetyCulture is committed to making safety – a way of life™. For more information feel free to call one of our friendly staff on 1300 306 604.