The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) has issued an electrical safety recall for a selection of HPM-branded white extension cords, due to a manufacturing fault which could cause electric shock.
The wires in the leads were accidentally transposed during manufacture, meaning the pins on the plug may not be wired to the correct aperture on the socket, leading to a risk of an electric shock.
The recall notice advises if the Active and Earth wires are swapped, there is a risk of electric shock if the extension lead is used with a Class 1 (earthed) appliance.
HPM products are manufactured locally and in China.
The recall relates to certain white HPM extension leads between 1 and 10 metres.
The recall recommends consumers who have purchased the extension leads – sold nationally from a range of electrical retailers between 1 March and 14 June 2012 - should immediately unplug the item and discontinue use.