Police are investigating the death of a bakery worker inside a bakery in Ferntree Gully early morning on Sunday.
ABC News reported that the worker was found dead inside the bakery. His co-worker was found unconscious beside him.
Police are investigating whether generator fumes may have caused the incident.
Gavin Wright of the Country Fire Authority (CFA) issued a warning on the potential dangers of generators.
“Generators and other similar equipment with carbon monoxide emitting engines must be kept outside in the open air where they can be vented,” said Mr Wright.
“You cannot use this type of equipment or these kinds of engines in an enclosed space because the fumes have nowhere to go and the air inside that room will become very dangerous.
“The two gentlemen may have been sleeping out the back and while they slept they’ve been overcome by carbon monoxide.”
WorkSafe is also conducting an investigation over the incident.