The energy provider has been accused by the householder of ignoring the concerns of its customers.
The company has refused to say when it will comply or how many of its customers have been affected by the work ban.
ACT Work Safety Commissioner Mark McCabe confirmed a prohibition notice had been placed on the company after a fire on October 19 when a gas pipeline was ruptured in West Macgregor. Mr McCabe said the likely cause of the fire was gas leaking from a main near work being undertaken by two employees.
The notice requires the company to show it has a safe system in place for the connection of electrical supply to house junctions when gas mains are present in the same location.
Mr McCabe understood the company would not be able to comply with those requirements until at least November 9.
The complainant and his young family have been caught in the work ban. His electrician had been unable to connect power to their new home, because the company was prohibited from doing the necessary earthworks.
The family, which includes two young children, had to rent an expensive furnished apartment for several weeks longer that it intended because of the ban.
The company’s general manager network services Rob Atkin said in a statement, “What we would like to let people know is that if they are affected by this situation they should contact us as soon as possible to discuss ways in which we may be able to assist them and address any claims they may have.”